Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Bienvenido a Miami

Talk about multi-tasking. I'm sitting here in my most favorite oversized chair pouring through "Lost" Season 1 on DVD on TV while at the same time decrypting and downloading Season 2 of "The Office" to my iPod.

From what I've been told, "Lost" is a fantastic and addicting show. I think I'll have to second that motion since I watched the first four episodes last night and am #3 tonight and it's only 8:30. It's certainly an interesting and suspenseful show. I've found myself holding my breath a few times which tells me I'm enjoying it.

Now, on to the Miami trip...

Kirsten and I flew into Miami on Friday for a much needed vacation. We grabbed a cab for a ride to our hotel in South Beach. What's cool about their cab fare system is that they have pre-determined rates for rides to and from the airport. Since our hotel was in South Beach, the fare was $32. It's a pretty nice feeling knowing exactly how much is going to cost right when ou get in the car and at the same time know the driver isn't going to screw you over.

As I mentioned before, we stayed at the Hotel Chelsea which, like most hotels in South Beach, is a "boutique" hotel. Pretty small and certainly not a 5-star place but very cool and like everywhere else in the area, has some very nice people and great service. After the flight we were both pretty hungry so off to Ocean Drive we went.

As we walked past the endless row of hotels, restaurants and bars facing the ocean, I couldn't help but feel like I was back in Mexico. Just as the bodegas there, as you pass each place there are people trying to get you to come in to get your business. UNLIKE Mexico, however, these places are all great, quality places.
We were "suckered" into going to the restaurant Rendezvous inside the Beacan Hotel by a fast talking cuban offering some free champagne. As we were led to the table on the patio that was reserved "just for us" I couldn't help but think that we just fell for some sort of trick but I was certainly mistaken. The restaurant was great (see delicious lobster tail above) and our server Luis made us feel like we were the only table in the place. As most places, it was fairly expensive but hey, we were on vacation right?

Saturday we slept in pretty late which was the first morning we could actually do that since we've had Olive, so that was really nice. We went back to Ocean Drive and had breakfast at a place called the News Cafe which was really cool. We ate out on the large patio (it was 80 degrees outside already) which was neat. There were a lot of little tables packed in there with a few trees growing up through holes cut in the patio. It was there that I noticed how we were some of the few that were actually speaking English. They say that Miami is a melting pot and it was proven then because most of the people were speaking European languages.

Coming up next, the Packers/Dolphins game on Sunday but for now, I need to get back to watching "Lost."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home