Monday, July 31, 2006

One of the Great Ones

It's not often that someone comes along and really sparks a moment in your life that you will never forget. One happened to me 16 years ago that has recently been brought back to the forefront in the NFL. The National Football League recently held it's 10th annual rookie symposium which is an event aimed at preparing new draft picks for life in the NFL on and off the field. The topics discussed include financial planning, social relationships and dealing with the media to name a few. This year though, they've added a new topic: what it's like to be a gay man in the NFL.

The topic will be discussed with Esera Tuaolo, a former defensive tackle who retired from the NFL in 1999. In 2002, he revealed he was gay sending shockwaves through the NFL, mostly to teams and players he had played football with. Recently, he released his first book, Esera Tuaolo: Alone in the Trenches which describes his life as a gay man in the NFL.

In the NFL, Esera was what most people would consider a "journeyman" since he played for a total of five teams in his nine solid years in the NFL. I, however, still think I am his biggest fan. I met Esera 16 years ago when the Packers drafted the All-American from Oregon State in the second round in 1990. That summer I was one of "those kids" at Packers practice. As a 13-year old I went to a few of the early Packers mini camps and let the players ride my bike from the Packers practice field to Lambeau field across the street. One of my first days there, Esera was walking up to Lambeau alone (no one probably knew who he was yet) so I went over to say hello. I actually had his football card already so I recognized him immediately.

I approached and gave him a "Hi Mr. Tuaolo" in my squeaky voice and politely asked him to sign his card for me. He was the first Packers player I had ever spoken to. I'm surprised I could even get out a "hi.". On the card was a picture of him in his college uniform that had the jersey tied up in a knot showing his big D-End gut. He took one look at the card and said with a big smile on his face: "Oh man, where did you get this?! I didn't even know I had a card out yet. Look at my big belly on there! You don't want me to sign this do you? You should throw this away! Okay, here's what I'm going to do, I'm going to sign my name in big letters across my belly so you can't see that thing anymore." And so he did. We chatted for a few more minutes before he had to run inside. I'm sure he doesn't remember me, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

That season my Dad and I were at the game, front and center, the night that Esera became the first NFL player to sing the national anthem at a nationally televised game. Pretty cool.

One of the great ones...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember watching the 20/20 or dateline show about him and his partner. His name was still familiar with me as he played with the Vikings for a short period of time (He actually still calls his home Minneapolis). As the story played I couldn't help but wonder how this might effect the rest of the NFL, and secondarily professional sports as a whole. Truly commendable and a 'role model' on the true definition.

7/31/2006 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home