Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Pulling Up Roots

Tonight Kirsten and I had dinner with our friends Kerry and Joe. Kerry stood up in our wedding and Joe was a very supportive spectator holding down the crowd amongst the pews. Anyway, they are moving to North Carolina next week for Joe to pursue a PHD at Chapel Hill. He is also receiving funding to pursue some research there.

It's always sad to see friends move away no matter how well you know them or how well you would like to know them. Joe and I have very different views on pretty much everything from politics to religion to beer preferences, you name it. We've only hung out a few times but saying "good-bye" tonight was tough even with the promise to visit. I have a friend in Charlotte (who I believe is a frequent reader of the blog so holla if you are) who I would like to visit so now Kirsten and I have an extra reason to get down there and say "hello."

Roots was great. We ate down in the Roots Cellar which is supposed to be the more casual of the two places to eat. We dialed up a couple appetizers, the Hummice Nachos and Cheese Tray which were delicious and then went around the horn with the entrees ending with the Blackened Salmon Salad in front of me....which was excellent. I love the atmosphere at Roots. We had a couple drinks, shared some past stories and some recent events that we had yet to share with each other, including my domination of the Fish Days run.

We took the walk back up Commerce Street back to our condo and hung out for a while sharing more stories and then we said good-bye. We certainly hope to see each other soon, but who knows what the future holds. I believe someone once said "the future is what you make it" so if that's true, we'll be making a trip down to North Carolina soon.

Good luck to Kerry and Joe. Have a safe trip and we'll see you soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roots sounds so great. I haven't been yet, but I can't wait to try this place!

7/19/2006 5:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been wanting to try Roots, too. Glad to hear you enjoyed it.

It was really great to finally meet you tonight, Derek! Thanks for coming by to see me! :)

I was just thinkin: when you said "are you going to blog this?" I thought you were talking about Jazz in the Park. Now I realize you might have meant my meeting you? Heck yes, I'm going to blog that! I should have gotten a pic of us - would that have been weird? Oh well - maybe next time. ;)

7/20/2006 10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home