Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Bonnaroo Review Part 2 of 3: Saturday - Sunday

Rise and shine! Time to get rolling for day two of the Roo! Yea that's right, I rhyme. We awakened after less than a solid sleep and took note of our supplies. We needed ice. Off to the ice truck I go...

...the line was pretty long when I got there but even longer when I grabbed my 3 bags. While in line, a nice your lady walked by with an interesting top on. Oh wait, that's not a top, that's paint! I'm telling you, the people watching at this festival is some of the best around. Pretty funny. She acted all shy as she walked by and pretended to be upset when a guy asked to take a picture with her but come one, you have nothing but paint on and you're um, enhanced. Like you didn't expect people to stare. Anway, I got my three bags of ice (@ $3.50 a bag, one of the suprisingly few things I felt gouged about) and back to the campsite I went. After a quick breakfast and a couple beers, off to Centeroo we went.

Saturday turned out to be our "big" day of music. We started it off with Buddy Guy (pictured) where we relaxed on one of our key purchases of the weekend, a Bonnaroo blanket that folded up with handles. This thing was great. We bought it for $20 from one of the dudes that was walking around the campsites selling stuff. The same blanket was selling inside the festival for $35 so we felt pretty good about that. Anyway, Buddy Guy was great. One of the cool things about almost all the other bands that were at the festival was that they all commented how honored they were to play at a festival like this. Not Buddy Guy. He's just too damn old and experienced to be honored or impressed like that. His first comment after rocking his first song was "damn I feel good. y'all are going to have to drag me off this stage today." Definitely got the party going.

From there we started the "walk around" for lack of a better term. There were a lot of bands to check out so we started the trek around staying for a couple songs at each starting with the ever popular Blues Traveler. They were great as you would assume and the crowd was really into it. John Popper looks like he put a few of those pounds back that he'd lost and he was really tearing up the harmonica. They played some of the favorites and then we moved on to check out Les Claypool and then to the small Budweiser (booo) sponsored "Troo Music Tent" to check out a band called [golden] from Atlanta. They were really great. Reminded me a lot of Dave Matthews Band with their "jamming" and lyrics. We ended up purchasing their CD and I got a T-shirt.

The main event of the night was of course Radiohead, one of my personal favorites. The concert was great, as expected, but not without its drama. I ran to the bathroom and to grab a quick beer before the show started and got "lost" coming back. I could not find Kirsten for the life of me. I got a little nervous because I left her with our new found friends from Ohio high on who knows what and we weren't smart enough to come up with a common meeting place before hand. Who needs that? It's only 80,000 people. So I spent the concert searching for her, taking breaks while each song was played (sorry honey!) and they sounded really good. Near the end of the show I headed back toward the campsite hoping she at least found her way back there and sure enough, she and Randy were hanging out knocking down some cocktails. After a few more it was off to bed for day 3.

Sunday I was feeling rough after a dozen or so beers and some questionable pizza Saturday night. We went down to Centeroo and checked out some of local merchants and got a look at the hippie gear they were selling. I picked up some new sunglasses since Kirsten can't stand my 5-year old Oakleys anymore. We also checked out the Brooer's Village which was a tent where you could buy tickets to sample beer from all over the country. I sampled 5 beers for $1 each. All were very different and some I liked a lot. My favorite was a Pale Ale called "#9" which was by the Magic Hat brewery. After taking another lap around the Centeroo grounds, we headed back to the campsite. It was about 4 PM and though we planned on staying until Monday morning, we decided to head back home. We'd had our fill for the weekend. So we waved good bye and packed up our weekend "home" and off we went. The trip back was very long and uninteresting so I won't bore you with those details. We made it back safe and sound and that's all that counts.

Stay tuned for Part 3.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home