Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Recent Sports Recap

  1. The Brewers pulled out a road victory last night by beating the Reds 6-5. Zach Jackson got his first major league win despite giving up 4 home runs. Once again the young guys are coming through. Ricki Weeks had 3 hits and Prince Fielder had a game-tying home run. We've got some great players and they sure make it fun to watch.
  2. The Dallas Mavericks are up on the Miami Heat 2-0 in the NBA finals. I'm happy about this for 2 reasons: A) My friend Amy (and blog lurker) lives in Dallas and I know how exciting it is to have such a good local sports team and B) all the Marquette Alumni I work with have guy crushes on Dwayne Wade on the Heat and I'm so sick of hearing about him that I'm loving the fact they have gotten destroyed so far.
  3. The USA were beaten badly by the Czech Republic yesterday in the World Cup to the tune of 3-0. Since this is the only country where soccer/futbol is NOT the most popular sport in the world, I'm not sure how many people actually saw this dismantling. I am trying to give it a fair shake though, I've watched 5 minutes of game action so far...and I use the term "action" loosely.
  4. The NHL finals are going on and no one could care less. The one really sad stat I heard is that game 2 got fewer viewers than a women's college softball game on ESPN2. Ouch. That strike just killed them.
That's all for now. Back to surfing the internet waiting for my vacation to begin...

4 Comments:

Blogger Orchid Lover said...

If I don't talk to you beforehand, have a fun and a safe drive to the festival!

6/13/2006 9:29 AM  
Blogger Mr. Interesting said...

1. Great game!!!
2. I like many players on the Heat, including Dwayne Wade, despite him playing for Marquette. I also like several players on the Mavs including Devin Harris (UW) but, can't stand Mark Cuban. I haven't watched a game yet, and don't plan to unless it goes to a game 7, maybe. I guess if I had a preference, I'd like the Heat to win just because I despise Mark Cuban so much!!
3. That was a poor showing by the US, we have yet to win a game in Europe...ouch! I'll definately be watching the next match on Saturday!!
4. Umm yeah, the NHL, I'd watch a Golden Girls marathon on Lifetime before I watched a Stanley
Cup game!!

6/13/2006 1:46 PM  
Blogger Mr. Interesting said...

Have a great time at the festival!!

6/13/2006 1:51 PM  
Blogger Babsy said...

And no Ben Rothelisberger motorcycle crashes? That should be #5...

As far as the Brewers... I hear they play in a nice stadium that has had loads of issues since opening. At least the team is sucking less than the playing field nowadays.

My husband seems to also have a "guy crush" on Dwayne Wade, and although he would prefer to see the Heat win, it really makes no difference in the lives of a father of two... (He also remembers Marquette busting his NCAA bracket to pieces a couple of years ago, with most of the credit due to Dwayne Wade's heroics)

Soccer/Futbol. I was asked about whether I was interested in following it this year from a friend originally from the Netherlands. I understand the World Cup is almost like the summer olympics for only one sport, but seriously. People who beat the crap out of others just because of the team they support are a little too off-the-handle for my sports taste. The actual amount of playing is about 30 seconds, otherwise it is just one guy passing it another and then back again. Lame. My husband will just watch Sportscenter for the 2.5 seconds of excitement the game had. And I hear stampedes are never a good thing.

Hockey- I also hear that the rules have changed to make the game "more appealing" to the average viewer, i.e. no ties and shootouts in the regular season. Although I could care less about the sport, I am not about to let my children know this feeling as Minnesotans take their hockey very seriously. High School players are definately looked up to and get the chicks. Maybe if Wisconsin had a pro team, you may understand...

6/13/2006 10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home