Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Run with the Fishes

Thanks to all you commenters that were so concerned about me after the Fish Days run. I'm happy to say that I completed the 2 mile run in 22 minutes which I was excited about but I could have done without the huge pile of puke right after the finish line. Not mine, someone else's. I even received a yellow "Finisher" ribbon which is now hanging on the fridge. Kirsten put it there. I don't know if she's proud of me or mocking me. Anyway, she one-upped me by finishing second in her age group for the 8K run so she got a medal, which is not on the fridge thus I think the ribbon is a sign of mocking.

The event was actually a lot of fun. Free food and drinks (I threw down 2 Gatorades in about a minute after I finised) which were badly needed since it was already in the 80's by racetime at 8:15 AM. (I don't need to tell most of you how hot it was. I think we all experienced the ridiculous heat this past weekend.) I had never been to Port Washington before, only driven by it on the way to Green Bay, but it is a neat little town. I think I would strongly consider looking for a house there, but the commute back to downtown Milwaukee is a little long for me to be thinking about doing every day.

While waiting for Kirsten to cross the finsh line, I met a couple who were also in the 2 mile run. Of course, they were like 50 and finished way before me. Anyway, once the "real" runners started coming down the stretch, they started cheering every single one of them by name. I asked "Do you know every runner here??" She responded with a smile that "yes, our son runs cross country for Port so we know most of the running community." We chatted for a while and then here comes Kirsten, bearing down the final stretch, and I mentioned that she was coming. "What's her name?" I was asked. I told her so together we created a little cheering section for her. Then off I went to meet her after the finish line. "See you next year!" the lady said. I think that's a real possibility. Nice town, nice people.

3 Comments:

Blogger Orchid Lover said...

Awww how fun! Good work on your ribbon! At least you finished, be proud :)

7/18/2006 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha I'm sure she's proud, not mocking. Good job finishing the run! Sounds like a good time.

7/18/2006 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, unless your woman is walking around the house wearing her medal, or humming the Tony Orlando and Dawn song "Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the Ole Oak Tree", I seriously doubt she is mocking you.

BTW, nice job on finishing the run Sizzle Nitz, now...if you'd a done it with a cold "High Life" in your hand I'd be impressed, LOL!

7/18/2006 3:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home