Wednesday, August 08, 2007

back in the day

I believe it was in 1987 or 1988 when I got my first real video game system. It was the Sega Master System and it rocked. My favorite game was the now legendary "Alex Kidd in Miracle World" which was just awesome...to a 12 year old at least. The one thing I remember the most about the system other than that game is that the "Reset" and "Pause" buttons were right next to each other. I can't tell you how many times I went to hit "Pause" and hit "Reset" instead causing me to feel like my world had just ended and throwing me into a tantrum of 12 year old cursing which at the time was more like "oh double turds!" as opposed to today's "mother f#$*&!" How times have changed.

My Sega system didn't last long though as it seemed to have issues with freezing up on me which was quite frustrating. I'm sure it had nothing to do with my temper and hitting the console if when I "died" at a crucial stage of the game. Anyway, my Mom returned the system 2 different times and on the third, we exchanged it for the more popular Nintendo Entertainment System and the rest, as they say, is history. Nintendo was great and all, but there was no Alex Kidd to play.

Fast forward to 2007. I'm now 30 years old, married and the owner of 1 dog. I still miss that old system and especially that game. I'm sure the game probably looks crappy by today's standards but I'm a sucker for the old time stuff. Plus, the new video games have just too many buttons to master. I'm not all that bright.

So......now that you have the background, I need some help making a decision. I have a little money sitting in my PayPal account and I have my eye on this little beauty. What do you think?

Do I make the purchase?!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

$40 bucks? Or you could just do this:
http://www.classic-retro-games.com/Alex-Kidd_148.html

You'll probably be sick of Alex Kidd in a day or two and you could use your PayPal money on this:
http://catalog.ebay.com/To-Hell-With-The-Devil_720616118523_W0QQ_pidZ3350584QQ_trksidZp3913Q2ec50Q2em23Q2el1102

8/08/2007 9:16 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Thanks Mr/Ms Anonymous,

I actually did download the game, from that exact site as a matter of fact. I've just messed around with it a couple times. Going to take some getting used to using the laptop keyboard. Or I suppose I could just get a PC Gamepad.

Not sure about your other selection though!

8/09/2007 6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... I'm not sure about that one. There were some more reliable looking posts on ebay than this "console works" person. Does it work for 2 minutes? Technically then, it works and is still sold as-is. I think I'd look around a bit. Good luck! I want the atari so i can play Frogger!

8/09/2007 7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh snap!

I still have my OG Sega. I keep it up north @ the cabin.

I have a good 10 games for it.

8/21/2007 10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home