Tuesday, November 21, 2006

A Night In Cedarburg

Happy almost Thanksgiving everyone. I hope this post finds you well.

So this past Friday, Kirsten and I headed north back up to the town of Cedarburg, about 20 minutes north of Milwaukee, to spend the night at The Stagecoach Inn, a local Bed & Breakfast, as a belated anniversary night. We had a gift certificate to use that we received from our wedding last year from our good friends Emmett and Julie whose claim to fame is introducing Kirsten and I among other things.

The Stagecoah was amazing. Since we had a gift certificate that covered the majority of the room, we sprung for one of the whirlpool suites and paid for the difference. It was great. What was most amazing is that unlike a hotel, you feel at home almost immediately once you are shown to your room. It just feels like home. (Kind of tough to explain I guess but I'd highly recommend it to anyone.)

After getting settled in, we headed out to walk the main drag of Cedarburg. We had lunch at a nice little place called the Settler's Inn and I had way too much to eat for lunch, the perch & cod combo. It was very tasty, especially their homemade tarter sauce and slaw.

After that, on the way back to the Inn, we stopped to have some coffee at the Java House. I had heard about that place for YEARS since my good friend and recent travel companion Amy used to work there a while back. Kirsten and I really liked it. It was similar to the standard coffee houses but, like the Stagecoach, was very homey and just relaxed you instantly no matter how much coffee you drank.

Friday night was weekend #1 of what they call "Festive Friday Eve's" in Cedarburg at the Cedar Creek Winery & Settlement which was both good and bad. The good was that I thought the winery was really cool, being the big wine drinker that I am.

[I'm throwing down some delicious Syrah as I type this]

The winery had a really old, workman type feel to it which was really neat. We tasted a bunch of different wines and ended up purchasing a few a bottles that have already been "earmarked" as gifts for people. The bad part about the Festive Friday Eve's was the people. We both left the winery with a very sour taste in our mouth when it came to the people of Cedarburg that we were in contact with. I'm obviously not generalizing the whole town, but the people we interacted with, or in some cases didn't, were very snotty and just cold. Kind of disappointing.

Anyway, back at the Bed & Breakfast we went down to the main level and grabbed a movie to watch to close out the night. We watched "You've Got Mail" (on VHS!) which is one of our favs and will be the topic of an upcoming blog post so stay tuned for that!

All in all, a very nice, relaxing belated anniversary night away.

5 Comments:

Blogger Orchid Lover said...

Sounds nice! I've never known what to expect at B&B's so I'm glad to hear you had a good time. Let me know how the wine is... Maybe we'll have to make our way down there sometime. Can't wait to see you, Kirsten and Olive tomorrow

11/22/2006 8:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Derek -
Thanks for giving the Java House a shout out on your blog. I'm glad you enjoyed your experience. Come back up for a visit and the next cup is on me.
David

11/25/2006 11:07 AM  
Blogger Derek said...

You're on David..thanks!

11/26/2006 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds just lovely! I don't think I've ever been to Cedarburg - I'll have to pay a visit! Glad you two had a nice time - and happy belated Thanksgiving!

11/26/2006 9:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm confused. Were the "cold" Cedarburgians people who worked in the shops, inn, Settlement, winery, etc? or were they shoppers?
dave

12/18/2006 2:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home