Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Christmas Carol

[I know I have more posts to write about San Francisco and Sonoma but in the meantime...]

Last night Kirsten and I went to see the play A Christmas Carol at the very cool Pabst Theater with our good friends with child, Emmett and Julie. Before going to the performance, we started with dinner at Cafe Vecchio Mondo, which is now having their grand re-opening as part of celebrating their 10th anniversary. Not sure how that works. It didn't seem to change to much from the last time I was there except they have a new sign out front.

Anyway, I don't want to take anything away from the place because I really like it. I like the atmosphere, the food, and the oversized martinis. (I know I'm not the only one who likes those!). We all really enjoyed our food (I had the Chicken Tortellini). Oh, one other thing that is new about the place is that they offer a fondue menu. Not really up my alley but one cool thing that we heard about last night was the meat fondue. Sounds gross until she mentioned all what comes with it which is pretty much every type of delicious flesh there is (for $39 a person).

Off to the show. Since it was a Wednesday night, the ticket sales were somewhat slow so we were moved down to third row center (with no one in rows 1 & 2) so that was pretty sweet. Well, it was good and bad. The good part is obvious but the bad part was you were so close you could see the oodles of makeup the people had on as well as things like the beard tape. It didn't really take anything away from the show, just something I noticed from time to time.

The performance was fantastic and for some reason choked me up a little at the end so I had a hard time singing along with the closing carol. After the show, some of the actors were hanging out in the lobby collecting money for the poor so, after depositing some cash in one of the actor's hat, we chatted a bit. Nice guy who played a few different characters in the play. We asked some questions that people not in the industry would ask like "is this a full time gig" and things like that. He let us know that they rehearse all day for other plays and then perform this one. Turned out to be 12-hour days. Brutal.

Anyway, the show was terrific and I'd highly recommend going to see it. It'll definitely get you in the holiday spirit!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful! I love that story. I'll have to see the Pabst Theater version next year. How sweet that you got choked up. :) There's just nothing like a live performance, especially around Christmastime!

I'm seeing The Nutcracker for the first time tonight and I'm excited!

12/15/2006 9:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home