Monday, November 10, 2008

i loved you in...part 1

So this is a post that I have been wanting to write for quite a while now that could turn into a recurring "game" on this here blog. It's called "I loved you in..." The premise is that if I were ever to meet any of the celebrities mentioned here in real life, I would say "Oh, [celebrity], I loved you in [small bit part from early in his/her career]" while that person would probably think you were going to mention his or her most popular role. Obviously the bigger the role that made the celebrity the most famous combined with the smallest bit part he/she had to play early on in his or her career the better.

For example, the first celebrity that got me thinking of this little game was Billy Zane (pictured) of Titanic fame. (Man, I can't even type Titanic without that terrible Celine Dion song popping into my head) So after Titanic, Billy Zane was "king of the world" so to speak having turned in a nice performance as the a-hole fiancee of Kate Winslet. Behold, exhibit A:

Kate: "Half the people on this ship are going to die"
Billy: "Not the better half"

Total a-hole.

So after this film, Billy's star could not have been higher. Relating him to our little game here, if I were to run into Billy Zane I would say "Oh, hey Billy Zane. How are you? I just wanted to let you know that I absolutely loved your work in both Back to the Future and Back to the Future II (where he played one of Biff Tannen's buddies)! You really inspired me to become and actor after those performances."

I just think that would be really funny. You know as I started saying "I loved you in..." he would be all "this dude is totally going to commend me on my work in that file that scored 11 oscars, most of them probably because of my acting." But instead I'd be all "you ain't famous" by mentioning his two appearances in one of the most beloved trilogies of all time, in which he had a non-speaking role and a character name of "Match." Barely even a background person. Anytime you have to watch a movie twice to make sure that "yea, that was Billy Zane wasn't it!" you know it's a bit part.

So what do you think? Good game?

I hope so, because I recently found one that blows the Billy Zane one out of the water. Here's a hint.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so for Tom Cruise you are going to say...I really loved you in....Taps? (Don't tell me the answer if I am wrong, I can guess again).

Also, here's one for you that I'd do:
I really loved you in...Bosom Buddies.

11/11/2008 11:19 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Hi Scott...nope, not Taps. That was too big of a role :)

Who in Bosom Buddies are you referring to?

11/12/2008 8:14 AM  
Blogger cbroolio said...

Tom Hanks!

11/12/2008 9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, top this.

"Dan Aykroyd! You are so awesome, man! I totally loved your performance in Temple of Doom!"

Who's a big winner? That's right. Bobby's the big winner.

11/12/2008 9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate: "Half the people on this ship are going to die"
Billy: "Not the better half"


Billy must be a republican ;)

11/12/2008 1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Here is mine:

"Hey, Bill Paxon, you were showstopping in "The Terminator".

(Where he played one of the 3 punks that got an Arnold beatdown in the beginning.)

Ed

11/12/2008 10:29 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

@Bobby: That's a good one! But I think my Tom Cruise one will still win out

@Ed: That is a great one!

11/13/2008 6:33 AM  
Blogger CmentMixer said...

TC was in "Endless Love"...speaking of a song that gets stuck in your head. Any one have a tweezers?

11/13/2008 6:11 PM  
Blogger CmentMixer said...

Excuse me, Mr. Samuel Jackson, I really loved you in ... You really held me captive with that role.

11/13/2008 6:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Mr. Nicolas Cage...Copolla...Cage...whatever, YOU were fantastic in Fast Times at Ridgemont High. Your portrayal of "Brad's Bud" (thank you imdb.com) was excellent. It made me want to be a better man.

12/02/2008 1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home