Tuesday, May 13, 2008

body worlds

The "Body Worlds" exhibit is winding down at the Milwaukee Public Museum after about 8,000 folks have wondered through the halls checking things out. As the end date of June 1 approaches, the museum has announced that it will stay open for 63 hours straight to wrap up the exhibit.

Back in March, Kirsten and I went through the exhibit along with my sister Gina and her husband Chris. I joked in that post that we were just going to look at some dead bodies, but it really was a neat thing to see and I'd highly recommend it to anyone. Still to this day I can't get my mind around the fact that we were seeing real people on display. I don't know if it's the process they use to preserve the bodies (plastination) or the fact that my puny mind won't believe it.

Anyway, for those who haven't been there yet, there are different areas throughout the exhibit that deal with different systems of the body like nervous, circulatory, reproductive, etc. Pretty neat stuff. There was also a separate room with a pregnant woman, embryos and fetuses (feti?) at different stages. Very interesting especially since one of the embryos was at the same stage as our little one was at the time. 8 weeks if I recall correctly. Anyway, it was interesting that it was in a separate room as opposed to all the other parts of the exhibit. I guess that may touch a nerve with some people.

So time is running out. Get there if you can. It is a fantastic exhibit and I guarantee you'll learn a lot. Enjoy!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have not gone, but really want to...Wanna watch Heinrich for us so we can go? :)

Next at the public museum is a Titanic exhibit. Looks good too.

5/15/2008 9:40 AM  
Blogger Roy Askins said...

Not trying to be a jerk, just asking an honest question. Are you familiar with the controversy surrounding the cadavers? Some were found with bullet holes in the back of their skulls, the preferred method of execution for the Chinese. Von Hagens garners most of his so-called cadavers from China.

There have been other controversies as well, regarding human dignity and the respect of the body after death. Just thought I would mention it. A quick google search reveals much more information than I can provide. I do recommend Michael J. Lewis' article, "Body and Soul."

6/05/2008 11:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home