Thursday, April 07, 2005

Postage Purchase

Another nice day here in sunny Milwaukee and I am in a splendid mood. No, it's not what you think. It's not because it's a nice Spring day, nor is it because the Brewers are 2-0 (woohoo!). No, it's because I made a stop at the Post Office on my way back to work from lunch. A stop that had me exiting said Post Office with a smile, yes a smile, on my face. This is something that never, EVER, happens.

I stopped in to pick up 2 books of stamps and the first sign that this purchase was going to be like no other was that there was more than a single person working behind the counters. This made the short line go quite fast. It was a good feeling, however I was supicious. Something unpleasant had to be coming. My number came up so I walked up to the person and handed her my books of stamps and my credit card to which she replied "If you like, you can use your debit card to get some cash back to save you a trip to the ATM." What?! How did she know that the ATM was my next stop?! I was (visibly) shaken and replied "Excuse me?" as her comment was different than the "$14.80" I was expecting to hear from the usual personality-less people that work there. Oh no, she was different. She repeated herself and I replied, "thanks, I'll have $40 back if that's okay." She handed me the items and the cash and said "of course, we here at the Post Office are here to help!" Okay, now she made a mistake. This charade had gone too far and for too long. I said "thank you" and turned and walked slowly, cautiously, toward the exit expecting someone to jump out and say "Gotcha! You know we don't make your miserable lives more enjoyable here at the Post Office! Give me that $40 back and get the hell out of here!" Alas, no such thing happened and I made my way out and back to work with a smile on my face.

Thank you new person at the Post Office, thank you. Have a nice day everyone.

7 Comments:

Blogger Derek said...

No. I was just surpised at the overall niceness and helpfulness. That place usually has zombie's working there and it takes FOREVER even if there are only 3-4 people in line.

4/07/2005 1:37 PM  
Blogger The Unprocessed Project said...

Check your bank statement to make sure they didn't slap a fee on ya!

4/07/2005 2:21 PM  
Blogger ab said...

The key here is that she is new. Give her some time. She will eventually grow to hate her job and will be rude like all the others. You just happen to have good timing.

4/07/2005 2:22 PM  
Blogger Derek said...

Katie: That's funny, I checked my bank account when I got back to my desk! All was well, except that the balance still looks pretty low.

Agnieszka: I hope not. It's possible that she will continue to like her job, right? Right?! Tell me it is! :)

4/07/2005 2:30 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Greg...my husband is a mail carrier.Not that that relates to your story in any way...just thought I would share

4/07/2005 3:08 PM  
Blogger Orchid Lover said...

I have a similar story about my last experience with the post office! I brought out my debit card to use for my book of stamps and the usual cranky guy asked what I'd like back. I said "20 please" and he forgot to take it out of the register. So he apologized profusely and said he'd have to swipe my card again. I said "no big deal, I can go to the ATM" his response was "no no NO, this was MY mistake, I will buy one stamp for you that I am forced to charge you, and give you your $20. I want to make up for MY mistake" so he charged me for one stamp on my card, and gave me $20.37 back :) What a day...

4/07/2005 3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was super nice and all, BUT WAS SHE HOT?

4/08/2005 9:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home