Tuesday, April 17, 2007

a roughing it weekend, sad reminder

This past weekend was my father-in-law's 50th birthday get together. Being that he's an avid outdoorsman, we packed up the Jeep on Saturday and headed north to the small, unincorporated town of Babcock, WI to spend the night at a nice little cabin on forty acres of land that Kirsten's aunt and uncle own.

Ten people, one one-room cabin, no running water, no electricity. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me but the sun shown down for a very pleasant weekend of laughs, campfires, some drinks and some good old fashion family bonding. We had a really good time and contrary to what we were expecting, not much drama. Hard to argue with fresh air and temperatures reaching near 60 and a father-in-law intent on making sure everyone had a good time.

Thanks again if you're reading this!

The birthday boy took most of us to the field where I, Derek, the city boy, got to shoot some guns for the first time in my life (other than my CO2 pellet gun). I was definitely apprehensive about it, but it was quite fun, especially having a little shooting contest with the rifle that had the scope. The handguns were another story. Even though those are what I was most looking forward to trying out, they were much louder and quite a bit harder control than I had forseen.

I wouldn't think that they would have been that tough to shoot given that they were "only" a .22 caliber handgun which leads us to...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

... a sad day on the Virgina Tech campus and across the country this week as a student there carrying a few guns, one of which being a .22 caliber handgun I just mentioned shot a lot people for reasons unknown at this point. Terrible tragedy that has changed the lives, and in some cases ended, of many people. Watching the video that some students took of the shooting, you could hear the guns being shot and I was immediately remembering what it was like to shoot that .22 handgun just two days ago. Hard to believe that the damage I was doing to soda cans was being done to people. Very sad and disturbing.

My thoughts and prayers to the families of everyone involved.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww and here Chris thought he could break you in with the guns first :) Glad to hear it was a fun weekend for you all. Sounds like a great time

-- Gina (I forgot my password to leave as my name! Doh!)

4/18/2007 9:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home