Monday, April 09, 2007

Bar Review: Zim's

Welcome to a new feature on High Life Heaven!

I figured that since I am still working towards building The List into something only myths can compete with, I might as well put a little more "elbow grease" into it and share some information about the places I've visited and whether or not I liked them. Don't look for in depth, on-the-street reporting here...just a brief overview of the good, the bad and the ugly. And with that....

First up, Zim's on Milwaukee Ave. downtown. Why is it first? No reason other than it's the latest one that's been added to The List.

Zim's is a self-proclaimed "contemporary sports bar" on the uber trendy Milwaukee Avenue that is also home to the no-sneaker allowing places Eve, Kenadee's and Tangerine (yet to be added to the list). Not to be overlooked, it is also still the location of My Office, a more traditional bar.

I have been to Zim's twice over the past month, both times to watch the NCAA March Madness games. What better place to watch the best basketball of the year than at the newest hip sports bar? Glad you asked. In a word, pretty much anywhere else that has TV's.

Apparently "contemporary" in this case means ultra dull with terrible, terrible service. Seriously, is it that hard to find bartenders that can do more than one thing at a time? My pet peeve at a bar is when I'm standing there, money in hand waiting to order and the bartender comes up and makes a drink right in front of me without even looking up to see who to help next. Come on people, pouring a vodka & tonic isn't rocket science.

In an article posted on onMilwaukee.com, the owner, Mike Zimmer (who won't look at you twice if he doesn't know who you are) says that Zim's is not a "jersey on the wall" place. Well maybe it should be. It had some cool oversized Milwaukee sports photos but they're high up along the ceiling and hard to see in the lighting there.

Just overall and unimpressive place. In the words of one of the people in our group, "I hope this place closes in a month." Amen.

I promise the second bar review will be a positive one.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been there during this year's tournament, and while it was busy, I still got my drinks. I had been to a few other places throughout the tournament, and they took just as long to serve me. You have to consider that if you're going to a place that you know will be packed, you might have to wait a few minutes. Have you been back to Zim's since last year? It's a great bar that deserves another look.

4/01/2008 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home