Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Soda Pop

NEW YORK (AP) — Tens of millions of students will no longer be able to buy non-diet sodas in the nation's public schools under an agreement announced Wednesday between major beverage distributors and anti-obesity advocates. (Read More)

React: Wow, I must say I'm pretty impressed with this program. Reading further on in the article, it says that this will affect 35 million students. 35 million! That's a lot of tasty soda revenue the companies are leaving on the table just for the sake of the children and their fatness. Granted, diet soda will still be available, but that can't nearly be as big of a money maker as regular soda. Take Mt. Dew for instance. Love it. Have you ever tried Diet Mt. Dew? It tastes like monkey pee, rumor has it. Now usually my stance is "everyone knows it's bad for you so if people want to drink it, go ahead" as is the case with the Super Size Me movie. Why blame McDonald's for the fat asses that eat there 5 times a week?? Everyone knows it's not good for you! Anyway, I feel a little differently about this one because, well, kids are dumb. Myself included. If I had the cash to buy a 20 oz Mt. Dew everyday when I was in middle school, I probably would have done it.

What impressed me the most about this initiative is not the move itself, but the fact that it's actually going to be implemented. When's the last time something that affects so many people was implemented for the good of the American people? It seems like whenever anything is presented that affects more than 10 people it ultimately gets caught up in politics and then eventually just dies out.

2 Comments:

Blogger Orchid Lover said...

I'm sure we'll be getting that at our school. They already shut off all the vending machines except for the lunch hour. Before, during and after school the vending/soda machines are "access denied"... that really sucks when I'm dying for a Dew

5/03/2006 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is an awesome idea and I think it's a huge step in the right direction as far as fighting childhood obesity.

I agree with you - adults can make their own choices, and it's their own fault if they get fat. But kids don't understand the cause and effects of proper nutrition - especially if their parents don't teach them.

5/04/2006 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home