Monday, March 27, 2006

Service

"Can I help you?"

Kirsten and I did a lot of shopping this weekend which was topped off by an incident at our local Marshall Field's that I thought I would share. We started there where they were having one of their weekly sales and so I was checking out the suits. I wanted a brown one. I found this great Ralph Lauren suit for $100 off and struck up a conversation with the sales guy. A quirky, older, Danny DeVito looking guy. We told him we'd think about it as we continued on with our shopping. "No problem, let me know when you come back!"

Off to Boston Store who also had a suit sale. Found a Laruen suit with the same style, just a different color in it. I liked it but I really had my heart set on the other one. This one, however, was $150 off. Sooooo Marshall Fields will match that right? Back to that store we go....

Get back to the store and I try on the suit. Another sales guy comes up "Can I help you? Oh that suit looks great on you, what do you think?" Well, I think it looks great if you'll match Boston Store's sale price. They have the same style suit. "Oh no, it has to be the same identical suit to match it." Ok, then I'm not buying this one. Are you sure? I'll buy it right now if you match their prices. "I'm sorry I can't help."

Meanwhile, Kirsten and I pow-wow'd and decided to go to Danny DeVito and ask HIM about the sale and guess what he said "Sure, we can match that" Great, done deal. Suit gets marked up for tailoring and off to checkout we go. "So we're giving you the extra $50 off then...comes to...$$$." Then, seemingly from the shadows, "Hey, you can't do that, it's not the same suit! You can't match prices like that!" The other sales guy pounces. Keep in mind, he knows nothing other than what we've told him. He's fighting this battle like he has a personal stake in it or something. We calmly say it's the same style but I like this one better. So we continue to get check out and that sales guy goes 5 feet away to another salesperson and starts talking shit about us! Right in front of us. I say "Hey, if you're going to bad mouth us, at least wait until we're gone for Christ's sake!" Danny was irate and started wagging his finger at them. "Knock it off! I don't care what you say, if that's what the customer says, that's what I believe. Write me up if you have to." There was more comments under breaths from the sales guy and he finally walked away. That was great. Anyway, I got my suit for $150 off and all was well but it was quite the little confrontation. Now I'm dreading going back to pick it up when the tailoring is done for fear he's the only one there.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

3 Comments:

Blogger Orchid Lover said...

Yikes, way to stand up to the prick! What ever happened to The customer is always right, especially when making a sale? Glad you got your deal... how nice of the Danny DeVito guy.

3/27/2006 9:38 AM  
Blogger ab said...

Wow, I'm glad Danny was on your side. When you pick u your suit you should write him a little thank you note. And flip off the other dude.

3/27/2006 9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny story!! Glad it all worked out. Some people are so lame!!

3/30/2006 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home